Permaculture garden design & consultation.
Elements of your new garden.
Regardless of which design package you choose, the following elements are common in a productive permaculture garden and can be placed around your property to be interconnected, easy to use and maintain, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Annual vegetable gardens (no dig beds, raised beds, or wicking beds).
- Fruit trees, berry shrubs, and perennial edibles (free standing or on trellis).
- Herb gardens/herb spirals.
- Food forest and fruit tree guilds (a combination of many species of perennial and annuals in multiple layers that interact as a forest system would).
- Potting, seed raising area.
- Green house.
- Water tanks and irrigation systems.
- Compost bins.
- Worm farms.
- Chook pens (or ducks).
- Bee hives (contacts and info supplied for beehive)
- Pond(s) for providing habitat for frogs, and drinking water for small lizards, birds, and beneficial insects, all of which will contribute to your garden by eating pests, and pollinating flowers.
- Habitat plants. Trees, shrubs and annuals that are attractive to native birds, and beneficial bugs that do a lot of the pest control and pollination work for you.
After many years in ‘regular’ landscaping I can also include some ‘not entirely permaculture’ features in your design, including, but not limited to…
- Outdoor living areas integrating dining area, plant supporting pergolas, vertical gardens …etc.
- Wood ovens/fire pit areas…(you may as well share the space with family and friends and be warm).
- Decorative/sculptural features. I can place some of your favourite art in the garden, or stonewalls, or put you in touch with a variety of artisans to create something on commission.
When you make contact I will email you a list of things to observe in you garden such as the suns path, wind directions, rain fall, where does the soil hold water/dry out etc. Hopefully you have an understanding of some of these things already. This will achieve two things. It will get you observing your property, and it will save you money.
Packages & Pricing
Introductory Package. $560. *
This is the most basic design service and the price is based on a regular sized house block of approx 1000m2 or less (a quarter acre block).
The first visit will include a measure up of the property to establish the dimensions of the area around the house as well as topography, and after walking through the yard together, we will sit down for a question and answers session to see what you want from you garden and how much time you can put into it.
The second visit will be to present you with a design for your property with basic concepts like location for veggie beds, fruit trees, shed(s), compost area, chook pen etc. I’ll also provide you a small booklet/e-booklet with a run down of your site features, list of perennials and annuals that will grow in the area, a list of local suppliers for garden materials/plants/seeds in your area, and a sequence for creating your design in the most sensible order.
* The introductory package price will be up scaled to larger properties on a case-by-case basis, and a quote will be provided to you before starting.
Medium Package. $980 *
This package includes everything in the introductory package, but begins to fill in more details. The price is based on a regular sized house block of approx 1000m2 or less (a quarter acre block).
More specific plant lists can be provided, and placed in the design.
More specific details of each of the elements e.g. materials suggestions for veggie beds and other structures.
The booklet would be extended out to provide a more detailed site analysis, and instructional information for elements in the design e.g., composting, chook pen maintenance, etc, will be included in the booklet.
* The medium package price will be up scaled to larger properties on a case-by-case basis, and a quote will be provided to you before starting.
Full design package. $2300*
This package has everything and is also based on a regular sized house block of approx 1000m2 or less (a quarter acre block). You will receive a design for your property including several plan overlays showing…
All plant types, quantity, and their location (for annual veggie beds, a list of plants and planting times will be provided).
Summer and winter sun aspect.
Irrigation system zones.
Plan and elevation drawings for basic structural elements such as raised veggie beds/garden beds, chook pen and roosting area/nesting box.
The booklet will include all the content from the first two packages plus a detailed report of your site, (winter summer sun, topography, soil ph test results etc, materials quantity list for mulches, soils, gravels.)
*The full design package price can be up scaled to larger properties on a case-by-case basis, and a quote will be provided to you before starting.
And once you’ve decided which package is for you….
…these packages allow you to get started at your own pace, as your time and monetary budget permits.
As an addition to each package, if you would like the elements of your design set out ‘on the ground’, we can discuss a price for time and materials to do this. This is recommended if you are not confident to interpret the design yourself. This can also include assistance to create a quantified list of materials like mulch, soil, path gravel, bits and pieces (this list is included in the full design package as part of the price).
Design implementation or assisted implementation.
DIY or get it done?
If you plan to implement the design yourself, that’s awesome. After all this is all about empowering you. I can provide any assistance you require from helping set it out to quantifying materials or getting my hands dirty to help you directly when you put it together. We can arrange a price for this.
But…if you’re busy, or you just want to see it done and start to enjoy the garden, then I can either complete the work for you, or put you in touch with local landscapers or associated trades and over see the project from start to finish if it’s a big one.